Silicon carbide (SiC) is a well-known ceramic due to its excellent spectral absorbance and thermo-mechanical properties. The wide band gap, high melting point and thermal conductivity of SiC is used in high temperature applications. The present study was undertaken to investigate the effect of biofield treatment on physical, atomic, and structural characteristics of SiC powder. The control and biofield treated SiC powder was analysed using X-ray diffraction (XRD), particle size analyzer, surface area analyzer, and Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy techniques with respect to control. The XRD pattern revealed that crystallite size was significantly increased by 40% in treated SiC as compared to control. The biofield treatment has induced changes in lattice parameter, density and molecular weight of atoms in the SiC powder. Particle size was increased upto 2.4% and the surface area was significantly reduced by 71.16% in treated SiC as compared to control. The FT-IR results indicated that the stretching vibrations frequency of silicon-carbon bond in treated SiC (925 cm-1) was shifted towards lower frequency as compared to control (947 cm-1). These findings suggest that biofield treatment has substantially altered the physical and structural properties of SiC powder.
1. Abderrazak H, Hmida ES (2011) Silicon carbide: Synthesis and properties. InTechpress.
2. Cheung R (2006) Silicon carbide micro electromechanical systems for harsh environments. Imperial College Press UK.
3. Li XB, Shi EW, Chen ZZ, Xiao B (2007) Polytype formation in silicon carbide single crystals. Diamond Relat Mater 16: 654-657.
4. Gyu J, Jin K, Jeong H, Kim Y, Makarov Y, et al. (2014) Evaluation of the change in properties caused by axial and radial temperature gradients in silicon carbide crystal growth using the physical vapor transport method. Acta Mater 77: 54-59.
5. Grosse P, Basset G, Calvat C, Couchaud M, Faure C, et al. (1999) Influence of reactor cleanness and process conditions on the growth by PVT and the purity of 4H and 6H SiC crystals. AdvFunct Solid State Mater 62: 58-62.
6. Snyder DW, Heydemann VD, Everson WJ, Barrett DL (2000) Large diameter PVT growth of bulk 6H SiC crystals. Mater Sci Forum 338-342: 9-12.
7. Chaira D, Mishra BK, Sangal S (2006) Synthesis of Silicon Carbide by Reaction Milling in a Dual-drive Planetary Mill. Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration. Functional Fillers 253-265.
8. Mattieazzi P, Miani F (1993) Designing a high energy ball-mill for synthesis of nanophase materials in large quantities. Mater Sci Eng 168: 149-152.
9. Benjamin JS (1970) Dispersion strengthened superalloys by mechanical alloying. Metall Trans 1: 2943-2951.
10. Rubik B (2002) Thebiofield hypothesis: its biophysical basis and role in medicine. J Altern Complement Med 8: 703-717.
11. Trivedi MK, Tallapragada RM (2008) A transcendental to changing metal powder characteristics. Met Powder Rep 63: 22-28.
12. Trivedi MK, Tallapragada RM (2009) Effect of super consciousness external energy on atomic, crystalline and powder characteristics of carbon allotrope powders. Mater Res Innov 13: 473-480.
13. Dhabade VV, Tallapragada RM, Trivedi MK (2009) Effect of external energy on atomic, crystalline and powder characteristics of antimony and bismuth powders. Bull Mater Sci 32: 471-479.
14. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Tallapragada RM (2012) Thought intervention through biofield changing metal powder characteristics experiments on powder characteristics at a PM plant. Proceeding of the 2nd International Conference on Future Control and Automation 2: 247-252.
15. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Tallapragada RM (2013) Effect of biofield treatment on the physical and thermal characteristics of silicon, tin and lead powders. J Mater Sci Eng 2: 125-132.
16. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Tallapragada RM (2013) Effect of biofield treatment on the physical and thermal characteristics of vanadium pentoxide powder. J Mater Sci Eng 11:1-20.
17. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Tallapragada RM (2014) Atomic, crystalline and powder characteristics of treated zirconia and silica powders. J Mater Sci Eng 3: 144-152.
18. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Tallapragada RM (2015) Effect of biofield treatment on the physical and thermal characteristics of aluminium powders. IndEng Manage 4: 151-160.
19. Patil S, Nayak GB, Barve SS, Tembe RP, Khan RR (2012) Impact of biofield treatment on growth and anatomical characteristics of Pogostemoncablin (Benth). Biotechnology 11: 154-162.
20. Altekar N, Nayak G (2015) Effect of biofield treatment on plant growth and adaptation. J Environ Health Sci 1: 1-9.
21. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Bhardwaj Y (2008) Impact of an external energy on Staphylococcus epidermis [ATCC-13518] in relation to antibiotic susceptibility and biochemical reactions-An experimental study. J Accord Integr Med 4: 230-235.
22. Trivedi MK, Patil S (2008) Impact of an external energy on Yersinia enterocolitica [ATCC-23715] in relation to antibiotic susceptibility and biochemical reactions: An experimental study. Internet J Alternat Med 6: 13.
23. Trivedi MK, Patil S, Bhardwaj Y (2009) Impact of an external energy on Enterococcus faecalis [ATCC – 51299] in relation to antibiotic susceptibility and biochemical reactions - An experimental study. J Accord Integr Med 5: 119-130.
24. Shinde V, Sances F, Patil S, Spence A (2012) Impact of biofield treatment on growth and yield of lettuce and tomato. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 6: 100-105.
25. Lenssen AW (2013) Biofield and fungicide seed treatment influences on soybean productivity, seed quality and weed community. Agric J 8: 138-143.
26. Sances F, Flora E, Patil S, Spence A, Shinde V (2013) Impact of biofield treatment on ginseng and organic blueberry yield. AGRIVITA J AgricSci 35: 132-141.
27. Gao F, Feng W, Wei G, Zheng J, Wang M (2012) Triangular prism-shaped p-type 6H-SiC nanowires. Cryst Eng Comm 14: 488-491.
28. Narlikar JV (1993) Introduction to cosmology, Jones and Bartlett Inc, Cambridge University Press .
29. Kityk IV, Kassiba A, Plucinski K, Berdowski J (2000) Band structure of large-sized SiC nanocomposites. Phys LettA 265: 403-410.
30. Ng SS, Hassan Z, Hassan HA (2007) Polarized infrared reflectance study of wurtziteGaN thin film: The effects of angle of incidence on the optical phonon modes. J Vac Sci Technol 25: 1557-1557.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Trivedi MK, Nayak G, Tallapragada RM, Patil S, Latiyal O, et al. (2015) Effect of Biofield Treatment on Structural and Morphological Properties of Silicon Carbide . J Powder Metall Min 4 : 132. doi: 10.4172/2168-9806.1000132