Selenium is an essential micronutrient required for healthy metabolism, as well as prevention, and treatment of selenium deficiency diseases. The experiment aimed to evaluate the influence of the Trivedi Effect®-Consciousness Energy Healing Treatment on the physicochemical and thermal properties of selenium using modern analytical techniques. The selenium sample was divided into two parts, one part of the test sample was called the control sample, while the second part of the test sample received the Biofield Treatment remotely by a renowned Biofield Energy Healer, Gopal Nayak, and was called the treated sample. The particle size values were significantly decreased by 37.69% (d10), 14.36% (d50), 4.31% (d90), and 11.58% [D(4,3)], hence, the specific surface area was significantly increased by 33.64% in the treated sample compared to the control sample. The PXRD peak intensities and crystallite sizes were significantly altered ranging from 5.23% to 100% and 75% to 111.7%, respectively; whereas 7.81% significantly decreased the average crystallite size in the treated sample than the control sample. The latent heat of fusion of the treated sample was significantly increased by 12.37% compared with the control sample. The results suggested that the Trivedi Effect® might generate a new polymorphic form of selenium which would offer better solubility, bioavailability and be thermally more stable compared with the control sample. The Biofield Treated selenium would be more useful to design novel nutraceutical/pharmaceutical formulations and might offer an enhanced therapeutic response against cardiovascular disease, cancer, neuromuscular disorders, diabetes, stress, aging, male infertility, viral diseases, degenerative ailments, etc.
1. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Selenium. National Institutes of Health; Office of Dietary Supplements. Retrieved on 10-08-2018.
2. Margaret, N.I.B., Allan, M.P., James, D. (1995) Selenium content of a range of UK food. J. Food. Compos. Anal. 8, 307-318.
3. Stadtman, T.C. (1996) Selenocysteine. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 65, 83-100
4. Li, X., Yin, D., Yin, J., Chen, Q., Wang, R. (2014) Dietary selenium protect against redox-mediated immune suppression induced by methylmercury exposure. Food Chem. Toxicol. 72, 169-177.
5. Yang, X., Bao, Y., Fu, H., Li, L., Ren, T., et al. (2014) Selenium protects neonates against neurotoxicity from prenatal exposure to manganese. PloS one 9, e86611.
6. Brenneisen, P., Steinbrenner, H., Sies, H. (2005) Selenium, oxidative stress, health aspects. Mol. Aspects Med. 26, 256-267.
7. Rayman, M.P. (2012) Selenium and human health. The Lancet 379, 1256-1268.
8. Hatfield, D.L., Tsuji, P.A., Carlson, B.A., Gladyshev, V.N. (2014) Selenium and selenocysteine: Roles in cancer, health, and development. Trends Biochem. Sci. 39, 112-120.
9. Romanm, M., Jitaru, P., Barbante, C. (2014) Selenium biochemistry and its role for human health. Metallomics 6, 25-54.
10. Levander, O.A., Burk, R.F. (2006) Update of human dietary standards for selenium. In: Hatfield, D.L., Berry, M.J., Gladyshev, V.N., (Eds) Selenium - Its molecular biology and role in human health, Springer, New York.
11. Chereson, R. (2009) Bioavailability, bioequivalence, and drug selection. In: Makoid C.M., Vuchetich, P.J., Banakar, U.V. (Eds) Basic pharmacokinetics (1st Edn) Pharmaceutical Press, London.
12. Trivedi, M.K., Patil, S., Shettigar, H., Bairwa, K., Jana, S. (2015) Effect of biofield treatment on spectral properties of paracetamol and piroxicam. Chem. Sci. J. 6, 98.
13. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Nykvist, C.D., et al. (2017) Evaluation of the Trivedi Effect®- Energy of Consciousness Energy Healing Treatment on the physical, spectral, and thermal properties of zinc chloride. American Journal of Life Sciences. 5: 11-20.
14. Branton, A., Jana, S. (2017) Effect of The biofield energy healing treatment on the pharmacokinetics of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 [25(OH)D3] in rats after a single oral dose of vitamin D3. American Journal of Pharmacology and Phytotherapy 2, 11-18.
15. Trivedi, M.K., Mohan, T.R.R. (2016) Biofield energy signals, energy transmission and neutrinos. American Journal of Modern Physics 5, 172-176.
16. Rubik, B., Muehsam, D., Hammerschlag, R., Jain, S. (2015) Biofield science and healing: history, terminology, and concepts. Glob. Adv. Health Med. 4, 8-14.
17. Barnes, P.M., Bloom, B., Nahin, R.L. (2008) Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States, 2007. Natl Health Stat Report 12, 1-23.
18. Koithan, M. (2009) Introducing complementary and alternative therapies. J. Nurse. Pract. 5, 18-20.
19. Trivedi, M.K., Nayak, G., Patil, S., Tallapragada, R.M., Latiyal, O., et al. (2015) Impact of biofield treatment on atomic and structural characteristics of barium titanate powder. Ind. Eng. Manage. 4, 166.
20. Trivedi, M.K., Nayak, G., Patil, S., Tallapragada, R.M., Latiyal, O. (2015) Studies of the atomic and crystalline characteristics of ceramic oxide nano powders after bio field treatment. Ind. Eng. Manage. 4, 161.
21. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Mishra, R.K., et al. (2015) Characterization of physicochemical and thermal properties of biofield treated ethyl cellulose and methyl cellulose. International Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 3, 83-91.
22. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Sethi, K.K., et al. (2016) Isotopic abundance ratio analysis of biofield energy treated indole using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Science Journal of Chemistry 4, 41-48.
23. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Panda, P., et al. (2016) Evaluation of the isotopic abundance ratio in biofield energy treated resorcinol using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry technique. Pharm. Anal. Acta. 7, 481.
24. Sances, F., Flora, E., Patil, S., Spence, A., Shinde, V. (2013) Impact of biofield treatment on ginseng and organic blueberry yield. AGRIVITA, Journal of Agricultural Science 35, 22-29.
25. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Gangwar, M., et al. (2015) Agronomic characteristics, growth analysis, and yield response of biofield treated mustard, cowpea, horse gram, and groundnuts. International Journal of Genetics and Genomics 3, 74-80.
26. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Mondal, S.C., et al. (2015) Effect of biofield treated energized water on the growth and health status in chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus). Poult. Fish Wildl. Sci. 3, 140.
27. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Shettigar, H., Nayak, G., et al. (2015) Antibiogram, biochemical reactions and genotyping characterization of biofield treated Staphylococcus aureus. American Journal of BioScience 3, 212-220.
28. Trivedi, M.K., Branton, A., Trivedi, D., Nayak, G., Mondal, S.C., et al. (2015) Antimicrobial sensitivity, biochemical characteristics and biotyping of Staphylococcus saprophyticus: An impact of biofield energy treatment. J. Women’s Health Care 4, 271.
29. Trivedi, M.K., Patil, S., Shettigar, H., Mondal, S.C., Jana, S. (2015) The potential impact of biofield treatment on human brain tumor cells: A time-lapse video microscopy. J. Integr. Oncol. 4, 141.
30. Trivedi, M.K., Sethi, K.K., Panda, P., Jana, S. (2017) A comprehensive physicochemical, thermal, and spectroscopic characterization of zinc (II) chloride using X‑ray diffraction, particle size distribution, differential scanning calorimetry, thermogravimetric analysis/differential thermogravimetric analysis, ultraviolet‑visible, and Fourier transform‑infrared spectroscopy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation 7, 33-40.
31. Trivedi, M.K., Sethi, K.K., Panda, P., Jana, S. (2017) Physicochemical, thermal and spectroscopic characterization of sodium selenate using XRD, PSD, DSC, TGA/DTG, UV-vis, and FT-IR. Marmara Pharmaceutical Journal 21/2, 311-318.
32. Desktop X-ray Diffractometer “MiniFlex+” (1997) The Rigaku Journal 14: 29-36.
33. Zhang, T., Paluch, K., Scalabrino, G., Frankish, N., Healy, A.M., et al. (2015) Molecular structure studies of (1S,2S)-2-benzyl-2,3-dihydro-2-(1Hinden-2-yl)-1H-inden-1-ol. J. Mol. Struct. 1083, 286-299.
34. Langford, J.I., Wilson, A.J.C. (1978) Scherrer after sixty years: A survey and some new results in the determination of crystallite size. J. Appl. Cryst. 11, 102-113.
35. Zhao, Z., Xie, M., Li, Y., Chen, A., Li, G., et al. (2015) Formation of curcumin nanoparticles via solution-enhanced dispersion by supercritical CO2. Int. J. Nanomedicine 10, 3171-3181.
36. Inoue, M., Hirasawa, I. (2013) The relationship between crystal morphology and XRD peak intensity on CaSO4.2H2O. J Crystal Growth 380: 169-175.
37. Raza, K., Kumar, P., Ratan, S., Malik, R., Arora, S. (2014) Polymorphism: The phenomenon affecting the performance of drugs. SOJ Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 1, 10.
38. Brittain, H.G. (2009) Polymorphism in pharmaceutical solids in Drugs and Pharmaceutical Sciences, volume 192, 2nd Edn, Informa Healthcare USA, Inc., New York.
39. Censi, R., Martino, P.D. (2015) Polymorph Impact on the bioavailability and stability of poorly soluble drugs. Molecules 20, 18759-18776.
40. Blagden, N., de Matas, M., Gavan, P.T., York, P. (2007) Crystal engineering of active pharmaceutical ingredients to improve solubility and dissolution rates. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 59, 617-630.
41. Zhao, Z., Xie, M., Li, Y., Chen, A., Li, G., et al. (2015) Formation of curcumin nanoparticles via solution-enhanced dispersion by supercritical CO2. Int. J. Nanomedicine 10: 3171-3181.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Gopal Nayak, Mahendra Kumar Trivedi, Alice Branton, Dahryn Trivedi, Snehasis Jana (2018) Evaluation of the Effect of Consciousness Energy Healing Treatment on the Physicochemical and Thermal Properties of Selenium . Journal of new Developments in Chemistry - 2(1):14-23.